- #1: buy ranking (clicks) on overture.com
- use h1..h6 tags instead of div tags for subject headings. that's what those tags were made for! search engines take a look at those for relevance. you will get higher rankings.
- avoid relative paths e.g. src="../../image.png" or href="index.html" or in CSS, url(images/background.jpg). use absolute paths such as http:// or start with / - your pages won't be viewable in dreamweaver or your browser directly except via your web site or through your test server
- a new thing the search engines are doing is that the more years you pay for your domain name and hosting, the higher ranking you have in the search engine.
- title of page matching title of H1 tag matching title of TITLE tag matching description matching keyword you search for (but include some other search keyword sets
- REAL links to/from from other pages that aren't garbage. on the flip side, garbage links to/from landing pages can cause your ranking to go down.
- REAL readable text containing the keywords you are discussing. search engines love that.
- div tags are essentially ignored by search engines.
- avoid too much keyword stuffing in your text. a little goes a long way. search engines are clamping down on this.
- either or both of having domain and hosting bought for longer period of years (like 5 years or more) gets you better rankings on google. maybe this does on bing and yahoo too? the combination of both is especially nice. so buy in bulk. Network Solutions (associated with the internet) allows you to buy domains in as many years as you want.
- dreamweaver club SEO
some black-hat site marketers, even on domain companies, offer "site marketing" for a fee, but it sometimes turns out to be spurious link exchange spamming. If you are getting spammed with garbage link exchange requests that have nothing whatsoever to do with the subject of your site, cease/decist/cancel it now. search engines rank by relevance. There are white-hat SEO folk out there who (my guess is) make a living at providing training on usable SEO that works, though they will tell you it may not get you to #1 or keep you there - that's really tough to stay there since the rules change a lot over time.