printer jams, paper jams - there are a number of reasons why they happen. here's a list I am compiling. and the fixes. a few are left up to you to figure out.
list of reasons for printer/paper jams
- bit of paper stuck over the paper sensor, and now printer thinks a piece of paper is stuck in the printer. maybe it got torn off? depends on h9ow it is stuck. if it's loose, canned air.
- several sheets of paper being fed at once - a misfeed. this can happen to old printers if the rollers are aging OR if the paper isn't stacked right.
- paper sensor lever has gotten flipped somehow and needs to be re-flipped. this depends upon the printer mfr and model. may be a problem for some and not an issue for others. my my dell922, (too old to use now), I had to call tech support and they helped me fix the problem. my particular printer involved shaking the printer upside down a certain way. I am not suggesting you do this with yours, but be prepared for some interesting instructions over the phone.
- paper dust - try canned air
- some model-specific reason for it doing what it's doing - see printer FAQs and mfr support and forums.
- laser printer won't pick paper, ripping paper out can cause small pieces, even 1/4" sq to get caught and ripped off at the paper sensor. the printer won't even pick paper. you MAY be able to roll the rollers or trick the printer into feeding - cause a manual formfeed through the front panel and see if the piece comes out. or maybe you can get it out by hand. if this is your problem, I hope you solve it.