If your laptop is out of space or running out of space soon, you will need to either clean out space, or upgrade hard drives. some repair technicians don't know about this kit.
You can accomplish the same thing with Symantec Norton Ghost software and an external drive case that works with your type of drive. if your drive has a single long black connector that's essentially split into 2 connections, it's SATA. If it's 2 rows of about 22 gold pins, you have the older (2004 or older) IDE/PATA/ATAPI, and the drive I recommend at the bottom will be of no use to you - you will have to special order this part from a local computer store.
- boot into CMOS SETUP and change the boot order so that the cdrom is first. make sure USB is not before the hard drive. CMOS SETUP will also need to recognize the new memory change.
- let it reboot and boot normally.
- shutdown cleanly.
- for the hard drive, you put the new drive in the Apricorn upgrade kit external drive case and screw it down, and plug it into a USB port.
- then you insert the cd into the cd drive, and boot to the cd's upgrade software.
- perform the upgrade from the old partition/drive to the new blank drive & wait an hour or two and let it finish.
- follow the directions given (if any), or do this:
- use precision (tiny) screwdrivers to open the hard drive panel.
- swap the new and old drives.
- now you can either format your old drive on the USB (it may be called "removable") and use it as external storage, or keep it as an emergency backup.
- If you ever need to upgrade hard drives again, you can always use your kit again (remove the old hard drive out of the external drive case first).